Friday, February 21, 2014

A Quote

Several years ago I came across this while reading.  I liked it so much that I used it for a while as a signature quote in email.  I no longer do  that but I frequently pull it up and re-read it.

      Fagerlien said,..."Every adventure results in a whole shipload of
     books, a whole library...."
        "And every library results in a new adventure," came Mazzini's
     modest attempt at rousing himself from silent and nodding
     agreement.  But Fagerlien maintained his demeanor and had the last
     word: "Or in a tourist."

                    Christoph Ransmayr--
                       _The Terrors of Ice and Darkness, a novel_
                       translated by John E. Woods from the German
                       _Schtecken des Eises und der Finsternis_

 
I like it for three reasons:  I am a reader, I am a librarian, and I am a tourist. When I travel I always seek out libraries and  bookstores.  If there are none, I always manage to find someplace to browse books--flea markets, street vendors, gift shops, tourist bureaus, hotel lobbies, variety stores, gas stations--all sorts of places have books.                                                                                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment