Monday, December 15, 2014

Very Messy Bingo Card

The Bingo Card is Finished!
Way back in January when I first started this blog I took on the Reading Bingo Challenge 2014 at Retreat by Random House 

I decided to use this for today's topic for A Month of Faves:  a book review or discussion of your choice! Today's link-up is with Traveling with T!
Since I read so much I went for the black out and filled it in using Paint. It's very messy. Interpretation below card.
 
Reading left to right
Top row:
  The Signature of All things by Elizabeth Gilbert
  Amsterdam Stories by  by Nescio, Damion Searls (Translator), Joseph O'Neill (Introduction)  (Question: If a book is forgotten can it be a classic? If a book is a classic can it be forgotten? Answer: "forgotten classic" is an oxymoron.)
  Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup  (didn't see the movie, won't see movie)
  Boy, Snow, Bird by  Helen Oyeyemi
  Fame: a Novel in Nine Episodes by Daniel Kehlmann;  Carol Brown Janeway (translation) (I think it counts if the number is spelled out. If not 2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas by  Marie-Helene Bertino)

Second row:
  Battle Born by Claire Vaye Watkins (she was 28 when she wrote this)
  XO Orpheus : Fifty New Myths (New Fairy Tales)
Edited by by Kate Bernheimer
  Bite Me by Moore, Christopher (vampires gone amok in San Francisco)
  Life Studies by Susan Vreeland (arbitrary decision, about half the books I read were by women)
  A Circle of Wives by Alice LaPlante (another arbitrary decision. I think this and the one above were early in the year reads. good books, but not better than others that fit the categories.)

Third row:
  Carthage by Joyce Carol Oates
  Leaving the Sea by Ben Marcus
  Andrew's Brain
by E.L. Doctorow  (my first freebie from Goodreads)
  All Dogs are Blue by Rodrigo de Souza Leão; The Fall of the Stone City; The Diving Pool  (South America; Europe; Asia)
  Miss Anne In Harlem by Carla Kaplan ; In Translation by Esther Allen, ed.; The Beats: A Graphic History by Paul Buhle (Editor), Harvey Pekar, Nancy J. Peters; Oudry's Painted Menagerie by  Mary Morton; I'll Take You There: Mavis Staples, the Staple Singers, and the March up Freedom's Highway by Greg Kot

Fourth Row:
  Cup O Gold (John Steinbeck's first novel)
  In Translation; Translators on Their Work and What It Means Edited by Esther Allen and Susan Bernofsky (I found this through a tweet from Chad Post--or maybe on his Three Percent blog
  The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (NYT best seller)
  Before I Burn by Gaute Heivoll (based on a series of arsons, Norway, 1978)
  An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter by César Aira (buried because I forgot it was on my Kindle)

Bottom row:
  The Man Who Walked Away by Maud Casey (recommended by my daughter)
  Senegal Taxi by by Juan Felipe Herrera (scarey because of the social conditions it portrays)
  The Journey  by Jirō Osaragi; Ivan Morris (translator)  (first published in English in 1960
  My Struggle: Book Two, A man in Love (I didn't read the rest of the series :)
  Road Ends by Mary Lawson (lots of books had blue covers, but this seemed a fitting title for the final square)

This has been another way to look at my year in reading


 A month long  blog event hosted by Estella's Revenge,

7 comments:

  1. I love bingo cards! They are the best! Although I've never completed one. I'm hoping to be able to finish the one I started this year, on 2015, because I still think they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tempted by the French one at http://wordsandpeace.com/2014/12/01/french-bingo-2015-reading-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You finished the whole card? I'm so impressed! What a fun way to look at your year's reading; I wish I would have seen this in time to participate myself. Maybe I'll just carry it over to 2015. :)

    Bellezza (dolcebellezza.net)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun. The hardest was the "first book by a favorite author" because when I find an author I "favor' I tend to try to read everything they've written starting with the first one. I don't know why I hadn't read the first Steinbeck, but I was pleasantly surprised to find in a community college library in Connecticut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bingo card?! LOVE. That is all.

    ReplyDelete